Wednesday, January 7, 2009

So what now?

This morning when I logged onto Indeed.com, I was pleasantly surprised to see that 208 new job postings had appeared since my last login at around 11:30 pm last night. That pleasant surprise disappeared quickly as I scanned through each one and realized that NONE OF THEM were the type of work I’m either a) qualified for, or b) interested in. Now I realize that one of the key elements to finding a job in such a rough economy is to lower expectations somewhat and be able to settle for a job that may not be your ideal. That said, I also have a certain amount of guilt when I think about applying for a job that requires a high school diploma. I have an advanced degree. I also live in a one-income household. I’m sure there are people out there who need the job much worse than I do. However, I also know people who are way more qualified than I am who are taking jobs that are way below them (i.e. jobs I’m perfectly qualified for) because they can’t get jobs at their skill level.

Since I really can’t see myself applying for the jobs that have been posted thus far on Indeed.com, Michigan.gov, or Michigan Talent Bank for one reason or another (lack of skills, too far away, just not into that type of job), what do I do today? Where is a job hunter supposed to go when the only prey turning up is lame? My answer is to scour the different job networking sites again, post news stories, and go straight to the sources of employment (i.e. the companies themselves).

First up, a clip from YouTube about finding jobs from CBS news: In this segment, Susan Morem, author of “How to Get a Job and Keep It,” offers five tips for job seekers.


Second, D-Tales, another blog I follow, posted this item about the Michigan economy. Recently Michigan was named the resounding winner of Business Facilities “2008 State of the Year” awards competition. The Michigan Economic Development Corporation posted the press release D-Tales wrote about. At the end of the article, the author invites the reader to check out the other initiatives. I did, and found a list of expanding companies in Michigan. Next step, comb through some of the possibilities by going directly to their sites.

Third, rework my connections. I’m checking out my alumni websites and reviewing my profiles on JibberJobber and LinkedIn. I’m also sending out emails to former career counselors, friends, relatives, and old coworkers to see if they know anyone, ANYONE, who is looking for some sort of help.

Fourth, I’m going back to my three main job sites to see if there have been any updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment